February 28, 2015

Various...

My supervisor just casually announced they had applied and gained a grant for themselves- using exactly my highly individual research. You don't mind - do you- he said- I said no, very shakily- on the spot- this was a brief unscheduled encounter- and I felt totally shocked and intimidated, he then cancelled our scheduled meeting and has not responded to my requests for another and I dont know how to proceed-or what to do. - He is head of research at the institution. Any advice appreciated.

Anonymous
--------

I feel it is so disgusting that bullying, stonewalling, discrimination, ignoring policies and laws of the land take place in Cambridge. The disabled from my experience are also discriminated against. The way the world is nowadays with all being brought into question a body or superior organisation needs to bring about justice and highlight there wrong doing. I am sure it will people as the tuition fees is so high now.

Anonymous
--------

It is horrific and ridiculous how much it gets swept under the carpet by universities. I too have experienced a form of academic bullying from day one. Some similarities although not to the same extent. I too seemingly said the wrong thing to a potential colleague on day one, which resulted in a judgment call being made against me. I was responded to aggressively. When I had to give a general introduction to my topic in a team meeting this person was asking me to define terms and interrogating my proposal - it was supposed to be a 5 minute welcome to the team! Yet the other Phd students were left unscathed. Meetings followed where my contributions were either ignored or scorned. This really knocked my confidence. I was also accused of being lazy as I wasn't going into the office yet for there was no issue for the other students who actually lived closer to campus than me. There is much more but basically it got to the point were my nerves were shattered...

Anonymous
--------

2 comments:

ULSTERUNIVERSITYBULLYING said...

THIS IS A GROSS MIS-USE OF THE GOODWILL OF THE STUDENT, TOTALLY WITHOUT PRIOR APPROVAL AND CONDUCTED IN SUCH A WAY AS TO CONSTITUTE AN UNDER-THE-TABLE FORM OF BULLYING....

IT IS A CONFISCATION OF A PERSON'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND A FORM OF INSTITUTIONAL FRAUD....

Miguel said...

I was surfing the internet for unrelated material when I came upon this thread. The situation you describe appears to be a case of plagiarism of your intellectual work. If the grant proposal does not mention your work and you have evidence that the ideas upon which the grant was based predate the grant proposal, then you probably have a good case against your supervisor. I would first take a look at your institution's research misconduct policy and then contact your institution's research integrity officer. A word of caution: Even if you have an air tight case and "win", you will likely suffer some serious consequences (see, for example, http://www.sciencemag.org/content/313/5791/1222 and http://scienceblogs.com/ethicsandscience/2007/06/05/the-price-of-calling-out-misco/